The Calmbirth® philosophy is based on the belief that pregnancy, labour and birth are normal life events; that a woman's body is wonderfully designed to give birth. It is a natural process that can be experienced by a birthing couple and their baby calmly and joyfully. Giving birth is a life-changing event. With preparation it has the potential to be a transformative, rich and empowering experience.
Calmbirth® is a childbirth education program that offers you the skills and knowledge to give birth calmly and confidently, and in so doing supports your baby to enter the world as gently and peacefully as possible.
- was developed to eliminate the fear, anxiety and tension which many women experience during pregnancy, labour and childbirth
- acknowledges how marvelously a woman’s body was made to birth her baby with wonder and joy
- recognises that the role of the father or birthing companion is vitally important
- enables the woman and her partner to take control of their own birthing experience
- offers a combination of theory and skills to help establish the bond between a couple and their baby
When is the ideal time to attend a Calmbirth® course?
I suggest that a good time to attend the classes is between 24 – 34 weeks gestation. However, pregnant women who have been earlier than 24 weeks or later than 37 weeks have also benefited from the skills taught in the course. If you are overly anxious about the birth it is a good idea to attend the classes as early as possible.
For more general information about Calmbirth® please visit Australian Calmbirth® - developed by Peter Jackson and also Calmbirth® NZ.